Type 2 Diabetes Prevention
Continuous Learning Programme
The first successful 1,000 applicants will receive all six sessions free of charge.
Assessing your risk factors of developing Pre Diabetes / Type 2 Diabetes and taking preventative action.
- What is Pre Diabetes / Type 2 Diabetes?
- Short term effects / long term complications
- Risk factors:
Family History / Age / Ethnicity
- Lifestyle factors / obesity
- Importance of keeping blood glucose in control using continuous blood glucose monitoring
The ongoing role of sustained behavioural changes in preventing Pre Diabetes / Type 2 Diabetes.
- Barriers to making change and obstacles to change
- How to create healthier habits
- SMART goals / small changes
- Transtheoretical Model
- Tips to stay on track
The importance of nutrition in the prevention of Pre Diabetes / Type 2 Diabetes.
- Mediterranean Diet basics
- Food Labelling
Exercise and Pre Diabetes / Type 2 Diabetes prevention.
- Government recommendations for healthy individuals – frequency, duration, type, intensity
- Barriers to overcome
- How to create an exercise plan for the week
- Exercise with existing medical conditions
- Barriers to overcome with FITT goal setting
The effects of smoking and alcohol
consumption on developing Pre Diabetes / Type 2 Diabetes.
- Calories in alcoholic drinks
- Risks and links to Pre Diabetes / Type 2 Diabetes
- Risks of smoking
The link between stress and Pre Diabetes / Type 2 Diabetes.
Improved sleep and Pre Diabetes / Type 2 Diabetes.
- Mental health and diabetes statistics
- What to do if you have mental health issues
- Cortisol response in the body / parasympathetic nervous system / effect of stimulants
- Brief overview on deep breathing and signposting to Calm/ Headspace
- Identifying stress and its link to Pre Diabetes / Type 2 Diabetes
- Health benefits of sufficient sleep
- How to get better sleep
- How sleep links to Pre Diabetes / Type 2 Diabetes